I am looking for PhD students, postdocs, interns, and visitors whose vision aligns with ours to join our lab. In general, we aim to both have a practical impact by creating relevant and usable tools as well as by designing principled and fundamental approaches.
The group’s core areas are software engineering, computer systems, and programming languages. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Software reliability using techniques such as automated testing and program analysis
- Creating and improving essential systems such as compilers, programming language environments, and data processing systems
- Programming languages, in particular, their efficient implementation
A current research focus is to improve the reliability of data-centric systems. To get a taste of the kind of research that falls under this term, have a look at the SQLancer project and Ternary Logic Partitioning paper. You can also consult my Google Scholar page for an up-to-date view of our research activities.
An ideal candidate has some of the following qualities:
- Strong implementation skills and a desire to create open-source tools
- The ability to come up with ideas and develop new approaches
- Not being afraid to tackle challenging, important problems
- The resilience to deal with fallbacks (which are quite common in research) and maintaining a work-life balance
- An interest in working on improving technical and non-technical skills
- A desire to write papers and publish at top venues (ICSE, ASPLOS, OOPSLA, …)
- A motivation to share your work with the community (through presentations, talking to your peers, on your website, …)
- An interest to learn about what other people are working on (e.g., by reading papers)
It is not expected that you have all of these qualities; I am unsure whether I have all of them myself. However, keep in consideration that these qualities reflect ways in which you will likely be challenged and develop further if you decide to join the lab.
If you are interested in a position, feel free to reach out to me and send me your CV. If you are considering a PhD position, you can also directly apply here and mention my name in the application. The next application deadline is January 5, 2022 (if you want to start your PhD in August 2022).
– Manuel (email@example.com)